Author Notes: I created a little "mix+match formula" for making a hot breakfast formula: whole grains + liquid + chopped toasted nuts/seed + dried fruit + spices + a little sweetener. This morning it's cold out so I had a hankering for warm spicy ginger oatmeal and toasted hazelnuts. So worth it. —HeatherPierceG
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger root
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1-2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 cup almond milk or light coconut milk
- Toast and chop hazelnuts. In a baking sheet, lay hazelnuts in toaster oven and toast for 2-3 minutes, until skins begin to blister and hazelnuts become a light golden brown. Or toast in oven at 350 for 10-15 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool. Wrap in a clean, dry kitchen towel and rub hazelnuts until all skins fall off. Roughly chop skinned hazelnuts.
- In a medium saucepan, bring water and oats to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium, add ginger, chia seeds, coconut, hazelnuts, and maple syrup. Cook for about 5 minutes until thick and creamy. Add almond milk and stir for about a minute, until heated through.
- Serve, and top with a bit more chopped hazelnuts and coconut for garnish. Enjoy!