Author Notes: I've been doing variations of this for years. With sausage of without, it always get raves.
Stuffing is such an easy way to get rid of old bread and it's such an easy side for any roast bird.
Throw in dried fruit, nuts, mushrooms or favorite herbs. Not all combos work but it's a forgiving dish. —blanka.n
- 1 pound Best Italian Sweet Sausage, casings removed
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil
- 1 Large Onion, chopped
- 2 Large celery stalks, chopped
- 2 Apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup Chopped walnuts
- 1 bunch Parsley
- 5 Sage Leaves, finely chopped
- 1 packet Stuffing Mix or 8 cups of cubed old bread
- 1 Egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups Chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon Poultry Seasoning
- pinches Thyme or Herbs de Provence or both (optional)
- Salt & Pepper
- Saute sausage in olive oil until cooked through. Remove from pan into a large bowl. In the same pan add butter, onion and celery and salt and pepper. Cook til onion is translucent. Allow to cool slightly.
- Mix all remaining ingredients with the sausage and add the cooled onions last. Mix well, adjust seasoning and either stuff your bird or cook on the side.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Walnuts & Sage