Author Notes: We cook this in our iron skillet on the grill. It allows the sweet potato to break apart and essentially become like a sweet potato mash without a ton of butter - just a great deal of flavor. You can also do this in the oven starting temp at approximately 450. The iron skillet is critical as it locks in the flavor and adds a great deal of moisture so that the potatoes require little butter/oil. —arik
Medium Sized Shallot
Ears of Corn
Salt and Pepper to taste
tablespoons Olive oil
tablespoon Sage - chopped
Rosemary and Thyme to taste
- Peel and dice sweet potatoes
- Chop garlic and shallots (or onion), turn on grill (or oven if you prefer).
- Toss garlic, shallot and sweet potatoes in a bowl with olive oil, salt/pepper and herbs, Save 1 tablespoon chopped herbs for very end.
- Place all ingredients into the iron skillet and place skillet on the grill.
- Allow potatoes to cook. After 20-30 minutes, begin to stir the potatoes. They will begin to fall apart and start to become mashed. Allow potatoes to cook for another 10-15 minutes.
- Clean corn and remove kernels from ears. Add fresh corn to potato dish - let it cook for another 5-8 minutes.
- Season to taste (use leftover herbs).
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Sweet Potato Recipe