If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This large, delicious and rich Gallette or Pancake makes a quick and filling vegetarian lunch or supper or a side dish any time of the year. Can be made with sweet potatoes, parsnips, seasoned with different herbs, nuts or seeds and spices of your choice. —Kukla
- • 3 medium, about 1 pound russet or Yukon Gold potatoes, baked and shredded on the large side of a box grater
- • 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- • ½ cup extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)
- • 1 tablespoon finely minced fresh rosemary
- • 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage
- • 1 teaspoon finely minced garlic
- • 2-3 scallions green and white parts, chopped
- • 1 teaspoon turmeric
- • 3 extra large eggs, beaten
- • Kosher or sea salt + freshly ground black pepper
- • 2 tablespoons pure olive oil
- • 2 tablespoons butter or margarine for vegetarian or kosher version
- Bake the potatoes until tender; peel and grate them. Stir in all the other ingredients, (reserving oil and butter for frying); salt, pepper to taste and mix well.
- In a 10-inch skillet with sloping sides, melt 1 tablespoon each of butter and oil. When hot, spoon the pancake batter into the pan, pressing down with a spatula to form and even pancake.
- Cook over medium high heat for about 4 minutes, or until the bottom of the pancake is brown and crusty. Slide the pancake onto a platter.
- Melt the remaining butter and oil in the skillet, then invert the pancake into the skillet and fry the other side until brown, about 4 minutes more.
- Slide onto a platter, cut into wedges and serve with a salad or sauces of your choice.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Potatoes
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fresh Herbs
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Walnuts & Sage