This large, delicious and rich Gallette or Pancake makes a quick and filling vegetarian lunch or supper or a side dish any time of the year. Can be made with sweet potatoes, parsnips, seasoned with different herbs, nuts or seeds and spices of your choice. —Kukla
What You'll Need
• 3 medium, about 1 pound russet or Yukon Gold potatoes, baked and shredded on the large side of a box grater
• 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
• ½ cup extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)
• 1 tablespoon finely minced fresh rosemary
• 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage
• 1 teaspoon finely minced garlic
• 2-3 scallions green and white parts, chopped
• 1 teaspoon turmeric
• 3 extra large eggs, beaten
• Kosher or sea salt + freshly ground black pepper
• 2 tablespoons pure olive oil
• 2 tablespoons butter or margarine for vegetarian or kosher version
Bake the potatoes until tender; peel and grate them. Stir in all the other ingredients, (reserving oil and butter for frying); salt, pepper to taste and mix well.
In a 10-inch skillet with sloping sides, melt 1 tablespoon each of butter and oil. When hot, spoon the pancake batter into the pan, pressing down with a spatula to form and even pancake.
Cook over medium high heat for about 4 minutes, or until the bottom of the pancake is brown and crusty. Slide the pancake onto a platter.
Melt the remaining butter and oil in the skillet, then invert the pancake into the skillet and fry the other side until brown, about 4 minutes more.
Slide onto a platter, cut into wedges and serve with a salad or sauces of your choice.