If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Khichari is one of the comfort foods for so many Indians. Usually , it is made from white rice and various dals or lentils like toor dal, yellow mung dal or green split mung dal etc. with either variations of potatoes and onions or with by adding lots of other veggies like cauliflower, peas, carrots etc..It is accompanied by a spoon of ghee , dollop of yogurt and pickle and papadum. It is no doubt a meal in itself. Unlike, the traditional khichari I have here used Bulgur. —PistachioDoughnut
- 1 cup Broken Wheat/ Bulgur, cleaned and washed
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida
- 2 cloves
- 1/2 piece cinnamon stick
- 1/2 cup onions cubed
- 1/2 cup french beans cut
- 1/2 cup carrots, cubed
- 1/2 cup cauliflower florets
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 1 teaspoon Green chilli ginger paste
- 2 teaspoons Red chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon Ghee
- 2 cups Hot water
- 2 tablespoons Ghee used after cooking
- 2 teaspoons Corriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- Take ghee in a pot, add asafoetida, cumin seeds, cloves, cinnamon stick. Let it cook for a few seconds. Then add the washed bulgur and salt and saute it for few more minutes, add the veggies and all the other ingredients to it . Mix it well. Add 2 cups of hot water in it. Cover it and cook it for about 20 minutes or till the water is fully evaporated and the bulgur looks cooked.
- Pour the ghee and sprinkle the corriander leaves to it and serve it with yogurt , pickle and papadum.