Author Notes: I hate Celery....but have just fallen in love with Celeriac. This weekend, I made everything Celeriac - celeriac mash with red wine poached pears and venison, celeriac soup with bacon,carrots and onions (using the leftover mash) and this warming, fresh salad of Celeriac and Apple! I love it. I served it with toasted french bread a la baguette slices and salt-baked sardines —Kitchen Butterfly
lemon, halved and juiced
Salt and pepper to taste
a celeriac (about 200g)
sweet, crunchy eating apples
teaspoons creme fraiche
teaspoons wholegrain mustard
slices of toasted, buttered baguette and fresh or tinned sardines
Lemon slices to garnish
1 - 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh herbs - parsley, dill or coriander
- Put lemon juice in a bowl and add a pinch of salt to it. Stir to dissolve.
- Peel the celeriac with a vegetable peeler or a knife. Do the same for the apples.
- Wash and then slice both the celeriac and apples into thin slices. Cut each slice into matchsticks and toss in the lemon juice
- Combine the mayonnaise, cream fraiche and mustard and add to the celeriac-apple mix.
- Check seasoning and adjust if necessary.
- Serve right away if you like or leave to 'bloom' in the refrigerator for a few hours. Sprinkle on herbs just before serving.
- Accompany with smoked fish (sardines or mackerel go well) and slices of toasted & buttered baguette.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Salad with Apples
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Autumn Salad