I don't do Sushi. The local shops have fresh fast-food Sushi; for premium sushi, Ginza is top of the world. But for Girl's Day Mar 3 (3/3) or Boy's Day May 5 (5/5), I make sushi for family events (this has no raw fish). This uses my husband's Grandmother's recipe for Tuna Teriyaki Topping:
It is surprisingly sweet, so matched with the saltier Clam Topping here, they balance each other well.
Years and years ago, I saw sushi made in these diamond shapes. My husband figured out how to use empty milk cartons to make the forms. This isn't quite Oshizushi (Pressed Sushi) but it uses the form to layer rice, filling, rice, topping to make the traditional diamond. There are many ways to layer & decorate the sushi but here are two of my favorites.
- Prep time 45 minutes
- Cook time 1 hour
- Makes 4 large, 6 medium diamonds
- Brown Rice Sushi Diamonds
Brown Rice (washed)
Pearled Barley (Arrowhead Mills) washed
1 1/2 tablespoons
Kikkoman Lite Soy Sauce (low sodium)
4 or 6
large Shiitake Mushrooms (1/person)
6.5 ounce clams, Crown Prince, chopped
Recipe of Tuna Teriyaki Topping
Eggs, soft scrambled
Asian cucumbers + salt
snow peas, asparagus (steamed, or microwaved)
- Brown Rice Sushi Diamonds
- Cook rice and barley together with a little less than usual water. If using white rice, cook using a little less water than usual.
- Sushi Flavoring: Mix rice vinegar, sugar, and soy sauce in small bowl. Set aside. Prepare a hand fan, or cardboard-box-side 12 inch-by-12 inch, or a magazine for fanning.
- While the rice cooks, prepare the Toppings and the Diamond Mold.
- Shiitake and Clam Topping: Cut a design in the top of shiitake mushrooms, if desired. Mince stems of shiitakes. Empty canned clams and juice into a small saucepan. Add soy sauce and mirin, and mushroom tops and stems. On medium-low heat, stir every 3 or 4 minutes (turn mushrooms upside down). Cook for 10 minutes. Remove shiitake tops. Continue cooking clams until the water is gone (about 10 more minutes).
- Cucumbers: Sprinkle with salt. Roll on cutting board (about 30 sec.) Rinse. Slice very thin. Sprinkle with salt and massage. Let rest about 5 min. Mix cucumbers around and massage again. Rest 5 minutes. Rinse in water. Squeeze cucumber slices until no more juice runs out. Set aside.
- Make a diamond-shape mold out of an empty milk carton, stapled at both ends. It doesn't need a bottom. See photo.
- Prepare Tuna Teriyaki Topping. Prepare Scrambled Eggs.
- When rice is cooked: Immediately remove to a large flat bowl or platter with sides. Pour Sushi Flavoring (above) all over and mix with a rice scoop or spatula. At the same time, fan (the rice, not yourself) with the fan. Fluff up rice, don't press or matt it down. When the rice is completely mixed, and cooled down to warm, you may fan yourself.
- Divide rice into 4 piles (or 6 if making smaller diamonds.)
- Decoration 1: Put half of rice from first rice pile into diamond-mold bottom, and press down and into sides evenly. Press strong enough for rice to stick together. Put 1/4 of Tuna Teriyaki Topping into mold to make next layer. Press in. Add second half from first rice pile to the make third layer. Press evenly, press again. Add Clam Topping, Cucumbers, and Eggs in desired design. Sprinkle with chopped pickled ginger, if desired.
- Decoration 2: From next rice pile, put half into mixing bowl. Add 1/4 (1/6) of cucumbers to rice and mix. Press firmly into mold. Add the other half of rice, press firmly. Diamond top: Make a diamond outline in center with asparagus. On the forward front of outside diamond put Tuna Teriyaki Topping (close-up picture on that recipe page). On backside of diamond put Clam Topping. Fill the center with eggs.
- Place a shiitake next to the diamond when serving. Sliced pickled ginger is nice, or dice pink Shinshoga (Young Ginger pickles) and sprinkle on top. Cherry tomatoes and snow peas add color.