If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Khichari is a blend of rice and lentils with some basic Indian flavors. Usually, it has potatoes, onions and garlic. But, you can add any kind of veggies. As risotto is to Italians , Khichari is to Indians. Every region or culture in India has its own version of khichari. You can make this simple by using any one of the lentils and also by using whatever veggies you like. It is quite a one pot meal for us. You can enjoy it with Cumin-flavoured buttermilk or plain yogurt,pickle and papadum. —PistachioDoughnut
Serves 4 to 5
- 1 cup Basmati Rice
- 3 tablespoons split skinless Masoor dal
- 3 tablespoons yellow split mung dal
- 2 tablespoons Green skinned split mung dal
- 2 tablespoons Toor dal or split yellow pigeon peas
- 1 tablespoon Ghee
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons Garlic chopped, you can also use paste
- 2 teaspoons chopped ginger, you can also use paste
- 2 Medium sized onions, chopped
- 1/3 cup Frozen peas
- 1/3 cup Frozen green pigeon peas , optional and mostly available only at Indian grocery stores
- 1 Medium potato
- 1/2 cup Cauliflower
- 1 Medium carrot, diced
- 1.5 teaspoons Red chilli powder
- 1.5 teaspoons Garam masala
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 2 to 3 tablespoons Peanuts
- 1/2 Raw mango with skin, chopped (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Rinse and soak the rice and lentils for about half an hour.
- Heat the ghee in a pressure cooker or a crock pot in medium high heat, once the ghee is hot enough, add the mustard seeds and let them pop.
- Once they pop, add the garlic and ginger and onions. Cook it for about few minutes till the onions get translucent.
- Gradually, add all the other veggies and keep tossing them for few seconds.
- Then remove the water from rice/lentil mix and add it to the veggies and saute it for few seconds. If you want you can toast the rice/lentil mix separately in another pan but not necessary.
- After few minutes, add the dry spices, raw mango pieces, peanuts and salt and add about 2 cups of water and mix well.
- Let it cook for about half an hour , if you are using a crock pot and if you are using pressure cooker then for about 15 minutes with 4 to 5 whistles. Once done, remove from heat and do not open the pressure cooker immediately. Let it sit for about 10 minutes and then open it.
- Serve it hot with plain yogurt and just by itself with a spoonful of ghee. Lot of times we enjoy Khichari with A creamy yogurt based sauce known as Kadhi.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Beans