If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Celery, fennel and leek combined in a creamy sauce topped with a parmesan panko crunch makes for a unique side dish. —inpatskitchen
Food52 Review: This is going to be one of my favorite new trusty side dishes. It is simple, scrumptious and moreish. Don't let the thought of anchovies put you off making this ...they add so much dimension to the sauce and don't leave a hint of fishiness. Absolutely exquisite dish! —Victoria Ross
Serves: 4 to 6
Creamy fennel sauce
medium fennel bulb, cut into a small dice
filets of anchovies packed in oil and minced
teaspoon white pepper
teaspoon ground fennel seed
cups half and half
- In a large saute pan saute the fennel and anchovy in the butter until the fennel softens.Stir in the white pepper and ground fennel.
- Add the flour and cook a few minutes to let the flour lose that floury taste. Slowly stir in 1 cup of the half and half and cook a few minutes until the sauce thickens a bit.
- Place the cooked mixture in a blender, add the remaining quarter cup of half and half and puree until smooth. Set aside.
For the gratin
Large stalks celery, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
small leek, white and light green part, halved lengthwise and then cut crosswise about 1/2 inch
The creamy fennel sauce
cup grated parmesan cheese
cup panko crumbs
- In a large saute pan saute the celery and leek in the butter just until the leek softens a bit (about 6 to 7 minutes)
- Place the celery/ leek mixture into a 9 x9 inch baking dish and pour the fennel sauce over. Bake in a pre heated 350F oven, covered for about 45 to 50 minutes. Uncover and bake for 15 minutes or more until the sauce thickens .
- Combine the cheese and panko and sprinkle over the casserole. Increase the oven temp to 425F and bake another 15 minutes or so. Let the casserole rest 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Most Impressive Dinner Party Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish with Meat as a Flavoring
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Celery Recipe