If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: One associates celery more with savory dishes. This one is surprisingly sweet and so appropropriate for dessert, especially after a pork or beef entree. —Bohdanna
pieces celery stalks
cup cherry or raspberry fruit spread, no sugar added
cup sweet red wine
cup granulated sugar
juice of 2 large lemons
pieces large pears (Bosc), peeled, cored and cut in half
pieces green apples, peeled, cored, and cut into slices
pieces red Gala apples, peeled, cored, and cut into slices
- Cut celery stalks into 1/3-1/2 inch slcies and add to the bottom of a glass dish about 13 by 9 inches.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, mix the lemon juice, sugar, fruit spread, wine and set aside.
- Place the apple slices over the celery into the dish, and then the pear halfs.
- Pour the juice wine mixture over the celery and fruit, and bake for about 1 hour, basting from time to time.
- Remove the pears from the dish and place the rest of the sauce into a medium pot and cook down the liquid for another 10-15 minutes.
- Place a laddle full of the sauce on the bottom of each of 2 plates, then place 2 pears over the sauce on each plate.
- Take the remaining sauce and puree it in a blender, and pour over the pears and onto the plate. Serve warm.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Celery Recipe