If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is like a mishmash of all things good (being a lover of butternut and pecans). This pie is totally fall to me but, let's be honest, would be welcome any time you can find a good butternut! —JessicaBakes
Makes 1 pie
- 3 ounces pecan pieces
- 4 ounces AP flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, very very cold
- 3 tablespoons bourbon, cold
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1 cup toasted pecans, chopped
- 4 cups roasted butternut squash (it should be sweet and soft enough to mash easily)
- 3 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon bourbon
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1.5 ounces grade B maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries, chopped
- Pulse the pecans in a food processor 5-6 times or until finely ground. Add the flour and salt and pulse an additional 4-5 times. Then, add the butter and, working quickly to keep everything cold, pulse about 6 times until the dough is starting to look mealy. There should still be lumps of butter! Add the water and bourbon, and pulse 5 to 6 times until the mixture holds together when squeezed and feels like dough. Transfer the dough to a gallon-sized zip-top bag, squeeze together until it forms a ball, then press into a rounded disk and refrigerate for 1 hour. Do this as quickly as possible to keep the butter in hard chunks.
- After your dough has chilled, roll it out to fit a 9" pie dish and fit it into the dish. Chill again for 30 minutes. At this point, preheat the oven to 350. After your dough has chilled, add pie weights on top of your dough (I like to do this on top of parchment so the weights don't touch the food) and bake for about 10 minutes, until the crust has baked partially and is very light brown. Allow the crust to cook while you work on the filling.
- Put 1/2 cup of the pecans into the bottom of the pie crust.
- Add the squash to your food processor and pulse a couple times to break it up. Add the sweetened condensed milk and maple syrup and process for at least 2-3 minutes to create a puree. Add the eggs and egg yolks and process for 1 minute. Then, add the spices, salt, sugar, bourbon and vanilla and process until everything is incorporated and smooth.
- Pour the filling into the prepared crust. Top with the remaining pecans and the dried cranberries. Bake for 30-40 minutes, until the filling puffs up. Allow to cool, and enjoy with additional maple syrup, whipped cream or just by itself!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Maple Recipe