If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Back when I was in college, I learned this dish from an old family friend from South America.I love the unexpected lemony punch in the crunchy scalliony batter with the tender beef inside. —LE BEC FIN
- 3-4 pieces "steak roll", very thinly sliced (1/4") beef steak; each piece about 5" x 4".
- 2 large eggs, beaten lightly
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup AP flour
- 3 spring onions, white and green, sliced thin
- kosher salt
- freshly ground coarse black pepper
- canola oil for deep frying
- Thoroughly combine eggs through lemon. Whisk into flour , S and P, just til batter is smooth .Add scallions. Batter should be thick like pancake batter. Dip both sides of the beef pieces in the batter and marinade all the beef in the batter for a few hours at room temperature.
- Heat about 3" of oil to 375 degrees F. With tongs, remove a piece of beef from the batter and fry about 5 minutes til medium brown , turning over as needed. Remove to doubled paper towel covered newspaper. Cut into the first fried piece to make sure the beef is cooked through.Keeping the oil at 375 degrees, finish frying the rest. Do not crowd the pan. Serve with lemon wedges.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spring Alliums