This delectable recipe offers a wonderful layering of flavors. It combines the sweetness of the red onions with the bitterness of scallions (green onions), and envelopes them in the tanginess of buttermilk and the roasted red peppers of the crepes. It can also be served without the crepes as a standalone onion souffle. Whether as an appetizer, a side dish or a standalone entree, this dish will win over your guests on any ocassion. —Bohdanna
Red Pepper, Buttermilk Crepes
1 1/2 cups
flour, unbleached, sifted
roasted red peppers, chopped finely
scallions, chopped finely
Scallion, Red Onion, Pancetta Souffles
scallions (green oninos (cleaned and chopped into 1/4 inch pieces)
red onion, large, diced into small pieces
pancetta, diced finely (optional)
panko bread crumbs, plain
salt and pepper, to taste
red peppers, chopped finely
egg whites, whipped until peaks form but not dry
butter for buttering the pans
In This Recipe
1. In a blender, mix, the flour, baking powder, salt, eggs, buttermilk, until blended to a smooth consistency.
2. Add the chopped roasted red peppers and scallions to the blender and mixed until just blended.
3. Place butter on a paper towel and spread it over a medium crepe pan and heat on medium heat hot,, pour the crepe mixture into hot pan and immediate rotate pan in circles forming crepes about 6 inches wide. Cook until just slightly golden, turn over and cook until lightly golden, and remove from heat. Do this for each crepe until you finish entire batter and set crepes aside.
4. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter a muffin pan and set aside.
5. For the vegtables in the souffles, in a heated saute pan, add 3 tablespoons olive oil, add the chopped scallions, red onions and red peppers and saute vegtables until tender.
6. If you want to use the optional pancetta in the recipe, then saute the pacetta until lightly brown, add to the vegtables and heat together for about one minute. Remove from heat and set aside.
7.For the souffle mixture, in a medium bowl, add the bread crumbs and the cream and mix until well blended. Let the crumbs sit 10 minutes and soak up the cream.
8. Add the egg yolks, salt and peper to the crumbs and cream, and blend well.
9. Whip the egg whites until peaks form but are not dry. Add to the crumbs-cream mixture and mix gently until blended.
10. To assemble, take a crepe, fold it in half, in a circle and place along the edges of each of the muffin containers of the muffin pan, making sure the bottoms are covered, but the center is . Do same for all crepes.
11. In the center of the folded crepes, place about 3 tablespoons of the vegtables mixture.
12. Cover the vegtables with about 3 tablespoons of the crumb-cream souffle mix. Garnish with scallions.
13. Bake in preheated oven about 25-30 minutes. Garnish with scallions, and serve warm.
You may choose to NOT use the crepes, but merely mix the vegtables with the bread crumb-creme souffle mixture and bake as a stand alone mini or large souffle dish. It is very tasty.