Simply grilled vegetables and marinated, grilled chicken shave calories while a citrus vinaigrette adds flavors back in. Top with fresh shaved Parmesan cheese and serve hot or cold as a salad. Great for summer bbq's or picnics! —AdventuresInFoods
- Serves 4-5
chicken breasts, no bone, no skin
Italian dressing (for marinating)
extra virgin olive oil
to taste dashes
salt and pepper
garlic cloves, minced
red bell pepper de-seeded, quartered
zucchini, peeled, de-seeded, sliced
asparagus, ends removed
chicken boulion cubes
package orzo pasta
artichoke hearts, diced
fresh Parmesan cheese
freshly ground black pepper
In This Recipe
- Season chicken breasts on both sides with salt and pepper. Place in a plastic container and cover with Italian dressing. Cover and place in fridge to marinate at least 1 hr. Preheat grill.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, place orange juice & simmer on low until reduced by half. Remove from heat & cool slightly.
- Combine reduced OJ with the olive oil, lemon juice, s&p, and garlic cloves in a cup with a lid. Shake until incorporated, set aside.
- Toss the onion and the red bell pepper in olive oil, salt and pepper. Grill until cooked. Remove and medium dice; add to a large bowl.
- Grill chicken until golden and cooked through, rest. Medium-dice and place into same bowl. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Toss both the asparagus and the zucchini in olive oil, salt & pepper, and crushed rosemary. Place both on a foil-lined baking sheet into preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until cooked through, rotating as necessary
- Steam broccoli chunks for 5 minutes, or until tender-crip, remove from heat and place in an ice bath (water and ice) to preserve color. Drain and add to the large bowl.
- Dissolve 2 bullion cubes in a pot of boiling water. Heat halved artichoke hearts in a strainer in the chicken broth for no more than 3 minutes. Remove and add to large bowl. Add orzo to the still boiling broth and cook until al dente – 9 minutes**. Drain and add to large bowl.
- Add chopped parsley and shaken, citrus-olive oil dressing. Toss to combine with all ingredients.
- Serve hot (or cold) with Parmesan cheese and freshly ground black pepper.