This crunchy salad-slaw adds a nice cool element to many dishes. I use it in spring and all summer long on hotdogs, in tacos or just as a salad with any meal. Today it was a delicious addition to our dinner’s roasted chicken and Tortilla Española. —Kukla
Test Kitchen Notes
WHO: Kukla is a classical pianist who has loved cooking and baking since her teens.
WHAT: A summer salad that combines a tangy, creamy dressing with a who's who list of crispy vegetables: radishes, young turnips, celery, and scallions.
HOW: Don't bother turning on the stove -- a whisk, a knife, and a chopping block are the only tools you'll need here.
WHY WE LOVE IT: Sturdy enough to be picnic-ready, yet classy enough for the fanciest of picnics, we'll be toting this salad along to outdoor fetes all summer long. —The Editors
4 to 6
• 1/2 head celery (about 6-7 stalks), peeled and thinly sliced, leaves picked and reserved
• 1 bunch radishes, ends trimmed, thinly sliced
• 1 bunch young turnips, ends trimmed, halved and thinly sliced
• 5 spring onions, white and green parts thinly sliced
• 1/2 cup fresh flat leave parsley, chopped
For the sauce:
• 3 tablespoons Gorgonzola Dolce blue cheese, room temperature
• 2 tablespoons good quality mayonnaise
• 1/2 cup sour cream
• 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice plus 2 teaspoons zest