If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Local radishes were the inspiration for a salad with crunch. I tried this salad with both a sweeter orange and a tarter pink grapefruit vinaigrette. Both are good. The wilted greens of the radishes adds a nice flavor and I think a nice textural contrast to the crunch of the salad. The fennel adds additional crunch and a nice contrast in flavor to the bite of the radishes. —Bevi
For the Salad
6 or more
larger radishes with greens attached, halved vertically
fennel bulb (halved vertically) thinly sliced crosswise or use a mandolin
a few fennel fronds, chopped
stalks celery, sliced thinly on a long diagonal or use a mandolin
For the Citrus Vinaigrette
juice of one orange or 1/2 pink grapefruit
twice as much olive oil as the amount of liquid from the citrus juice
teaspoon Dijon mustard
teaspoon local honey
dashes caper juice
pinches ground black pepper
- Steam the halved radishes in a saucepan with a little water only until the radish greens have wilted. Take off heat immediately, and plunge in an ice bath.
- Place the salad ingredients in a serving bowl.
- Mix the vinaigrette ingredients well. Pour over the salad and toss. Allow to sit in the refrigerator, and toss occasionally until serving time.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Shaved Salad
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Lettuce-Free Salad
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fennel