If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a fantastic dish: crisped boiled fingerlings in an addictive caper sauce topped with softly fried eggs and parm. I riffed this from a restaurant called Trilia when I was recently visiting my sister in Minneapolis. We both loved this dish and went back three times so I could taste and reverse engineer it! I've now made it a half-dozen times for friends and everyone raves. Add a salad on the side for a complete meal. —KLKA
Lemon Caper Vinaigrette
cup good olive oil
tablespoons drained good capers
anchovies in oil (optional)
- Juice the lemon, you want about 1/3 cup juice
- Slice the garlic cloves pretty thin and chop the anchovies
- mix all ingredients in a bowl with whisk or fork. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Let vinaigrette sit for flavors to marry while you cook potatoes and eggs
Smashed Potatoes and Eggs
pound baby fingerling potatoes
cup grated good parmesan
cup chopped parsley (optional)
- Boil potatoes gently in big pot of salted water for about 10 mins. Drain in colander and let dry for about 5 minutes in the sink. Heat to medium a big glug of olive oil 10" cast iron skillet, when fairly hot, add potatoes and gently smash them a bit with a smaller skillet or hearty spatula. The goal is to create more surface area to brown, but be gentle! Then dump the vinaigrette into a medium sized deep platter or casserole to prepare for serving.
- Let potatoes brown about 10 mins and flip them over to brown on opposite side. Get out a good non stick pan and add a pat of butter, heat to low-medium, when foaming subsides crack three eggs into pan. Flip the eggs when just set----these need to be just "over easy" so the yolks are still runny and the whites are cooked.
- Add potatoes on top of the lemon caper vinaigrette, gently place fried eggs atop potatoes and dust with the parm and parsley. When serving, encourage guests to dip the crunchy potatoes in the runny yolks.