Author Notes: my favorite irresistible south Indian snack of stuffed with spicy potato curry (masala)is now very popular even in north India .If you didn’t like the filling you can eat the crepes without filling its very tasty. —pauljoseph
pound Long-grain rice(not basmati)
pound Split urad dhal
cup Ghee (Clarified butter)
Boiling potatoes 2
peeled and cut into ½ inch cubes( IF you like add one carrot)
Onion ¼ pound thinly sliced
Green chili 2 Split lengthwise.
Turmeric ¼ teaspoon
Salt to taste
Mustard seed ½ teaspoon
Vegetable oil 2 table spoon
- Wash Urad Dhal and soak for 6 hours. And wash and soak rice and a pinch of Fenugreek For 10 hours separately. Grind grams to a smooth frothy paste. Grind rice to a pouring consistency and mix both tougher and stir well . Keep aside for 8 to 10 hours.( at 90 degrees F.)
- Boil the potato in salted water for 8 to 10 minute or until they are barley tender drain and set aside .In a small wok, heat oil over medium- high heat .Add the mustard seed when the mustard seed begin to pop. Add the onion and green chili and fry .dd potato, turmeric and salt sprinkle 2 table spoon water stir until thoroughly combined and cook for few more seconds.
- Heat a non stick griddle or frying pan over medium –low heat Spread about ¼ teaspoon of oil evenly over the griddle Ladle ½ to ¼ cup of the batter into the center of the hot griddle and using the back of the ladle steadily spread the batter in a circular motion from the center out. creating a thin pancake .As a crepe is cooks, small holes will form on the surface .Sprinkle a few drops of ghee on topto help make it crisp. When bottom turn golden brown(you can find in my picture).Fold the crepe in half golden side out and take out. Oiling the griddle each time. Serve hot. Now if you want to make a Masala dosa Place the filling in the center and fold as pan roll. If you spill little grated cheese over the pancake with the filling it is very extremely tasty my wife’s favorite.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pancakes, Sweet or Savory
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pancakes