If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I stuffed an avocado with sauteed grape tomato and shallots and topped with sauteed bread crumbs, heated in the broiler for a short time and topped with a poached egg. It was delicious, the avocado was barely warmed, and the tomato, shallot and breadcrumbs were lightly browned and the bread crumbs a little crunchy. It's a wonderful contrast to the creamy smooth avocado and runny poached eggs. Very simple to make and as easy to make for 1 as it is for a crowd. The proportions don't have to be exact make enough for how many avocado's.you make. You can become as creative as you like. —sdebrango
Food52 Review: The final product of this recipe is really delicious, and I just made a couple of small changes. I used half of a large heirloom tomato, chopped (grape tomatoes seemed a bit large to stuff into the avocado halves). It was difficult to effectively stuff the avocado and get it in under the broiler, so I wound up scooping out the avocado halves and placing each half in a small ramekin. I broiled the avocado+tomato/shallot+breadcrumb mixture and then topped it with a fried egg. This is a fantastic quick light meal or snack! The simple flavors come together beautifully (the lime is essential, in my opinion, as are fresh breadcrumbs). Definitely a keeper! —sarahmc
- 1 ripe avocado halved
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes halved
- 1 lobe of the shallot chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- olive oil for pan
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 large eggs poached or fried
- 1/2 lime (for the avocado)
- Add olive oil to saute pan and add the chopped shallot, when it has softened add the tomatoes and saute just until the tomatoes start to soften and give off a little of their juices, season with salt and pepper. Remove from pan and add the bread crumbs.saute until they have absorbed the oil and are lightly browned. Remove from pan
- Turn oven to broil, place rack in the middle of the oven. Line a baking sheet with foil. Cut your avocado in half, squeeze the lime on both halves, sprinkle each with a pinch of sea salt. Fill the cavity with the tomato and shallots, top with bread crumbs and place in oven for approximately a minute just so it's warmed and the crumbs are golden brown.
- Top with poached or fried egg and enjoy.