I'm a fan of dips and spreads and like to create my own because I can mix and mach my favorite flavors and also change something every time I make it depending on season or the ingredients I have on hand. Dips and spreads are suitable for both parties and for sitting on the couch in your PJ’s. You can dip so many things in them or spread on toasts or sandwiches and it makes a delicious filling for deviled eggs. If you need to bring something to a party and you're stumped, just whip this together and grab a bag of any vegetables that are in season or chips. Yum!
This dip is one of my favorite. It is a fun spin on a traditional guacamole; simple, creamy, but with a little bit of a bite from the cayenne, burst of flavors from the green herb sauce and texture from the pistachios, and it stays fresh for a few days in refrigerator. Try this dip and put your own spin on it; use cream cheese or goat cheese instead of Brie, jalapeño chile instead of cayenne and a deferent mix of herbs. Enjoy!
What You'll Need
For the roasted garlic, avocado and brie base
• 1 ½ tablespoons avocado extra-virgin or pure olive oil
• 1 medium head garlic cloves, separated (unpeeled)
• 8 ounces ripe Brie cheese, rind removed, room temperature
• 2 ripe Hass avocados, pitted and peeled
• 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
• Zest and juice of 1medium lime
For the green sauce
• 3/4 cup packed cilantro leaves
• 3/4 cup packed basil leaves
• 1/2 cup green raw pistachios or pepitas, toasted
• 5 tablespoons extra-virgin avocado or olive oil
• 1 1/2 teaspoons red-wine vinegar
• Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Heat oil in a heavy small ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and toss to coat. Transfer skillet to oven and bake garlic until knife pierces centers easily (about 20 minutes). Cool slightly and peel. Toast pistachios until slightly browned and fragrant; cool.
Transfer garlic to a bowl and mash with fork; add Brie, avocado, lime juice and zest and cayenne pepper; stir until smooth and well combined.
Place cilantro, basil and pistachios in a food processor; add oil, vinegar, salt and pepper to taste; puree and then using a rubber spatula, fold into the garlic, Brie and avocado mixture, leaving a trace of the green sauce. Serve chilled or at room temperature.