If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The idea popped up one morning after a Facebook post by one of my favorite cook book authors, Monica Bhide. A picture of coal roasted ears of golden corn.. the conversation thread went on as it is wont to about street foods in Delhi, chaats, chat masala, & minty Jaljeera..with a handful of toasted and cooked Fregola thrown in, it became a fabulous lunch offering. —Panfusine
- 1/2 cup Fregola or Israeli cous cous
- 2 ears of corn removed from the cob
- 1/2 hot house cucumber finely diced
- 1 roma tomato deseeded & finely chopped
- 1 thai chilli deseeded & finely minced
- 25-30 fresh mint leaves
- 1 tablespoon Canola or olive oil
- 1 handful of toasted chopped walnuts or pecans
Minty chat masala dressing
- 1/4 cup mint flavored extra virgin Olive oil (see last step)
- 2 tablespoons Chat masala spice blend (available at any Indian grocery
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon Honey
- Toast the Fregola until it turns a pale brown color, add to 2 cups of boiling water. Cover & cook for about 5-6 minutes until the Fregola turns soft. Strain out any excess water and rinse thoroughly with cold water to stop the cooking process.
- Heat a cast iron skillet till very hot and drizzle the olive oil, when it just begins to smoke, add the corn kernels & spread into a single layer allow to roast on the pan for about 5 minutes on medium high until the kernel begins to develop tiny brown spots. Shake the pan & continue roasting the corn for 2 minutes more. Switch off the heat and allow the corn to brown lightly in the pan's residual heat. Transfer to a mixing bowl along with the fregola.
- Roll the mint leaves and cut them very fine in a chiffonade. Chop the chiffonaded leaves further using a sharp knife to obtain tiny shreds of mint. Add this to the mixing bowl along with the diced tomato, cucumber, walnut and thai chili.
- In a smaller bowl combine the lime juice, honey and chat masala & whisk to dissolve the honey. Add the mint flavored olive oil and whisk into a dressing. Pour over the corn & Fregola salad and lightly toss to combine. Place in refrigerator to chill and allow for the flavors to blend. Spoon into bowls and serve with a side of pita chips.
- For infusing your own batch of mint flavored Olive oil, here is the recipe: http://food52.com/recipes/18078_mint_infused_olive_oil
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Lettuce-Free Salad
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Corn
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fresh Herbs
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Mint