This salad is easy to prepare and it packs quite a lot of aroma and flavor. It goes with just about any main course or as vegetarian meal by itself and has a nice side effect of making the whole house smell like fresh herbs. The salad is delicious served right a way, but will be even better if you let it sit at room temperature and develop more flavor for at least 30 minutes. Try and Enjoy! —Kukla
6 as a side dish or 4 vegetarian main course
• 2 large russet potatoes, washed, peeled and cut lengthwise in 1/4-inch thick sticks
• 3 tablespoons pure olive oil, divided
• Kosher salt to taste
• Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
• 1/2 pound Haricot Verts beans, stem end removed
• 1/2 cup good quality mayonnaise
• 2 tablespoons sherry or red wine vinegar
• 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
• 1 tablespoon whole grain Dijon mustard
• 1 shallot, diced
• 1 large garlic clove, finely grated
• 3-4 scallions, white and green thinly sliced
• About 3/4 cup celery root or turnip, cut in narrow sticks
• A good amount black pepper grinds
• 1/2 bunch fresh parsley leaves, finely chopped plus more for garnish
In This Recipe
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Toss together the potatoes and 2 tablespoons oil; sprinkle with salt and red pepper flakes. Place in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast until tender, crisp and browned, 30 to 40 minutes.
While the potatoes are baking, bring a pot of well-salted water to a boil, over medium heat. Set up a bowl of ice water and season it with salt. Add the beans to the boiling water and cook them until they are tender, about 5 to 6 minutes. Bite a bean to be sure they are properly cooked. When the beans are cooked, put them immediately in the bowl of salted ice water to stop the cooking. When they are cold, remove them from the water and let them drain well in a colander. Cut them in half and dry with paper towels.
In a sauté pan heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil on medium-low and sauté the shallot for a few minutes until soft and translucent; add the beans, turn to coat and warm through; then turn of the heat and let stand until ready to assemble the salad.
In a small mixing bowl combine mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, black pepper and parsley; whisk until smooth. As soon as potatoes are roasted, toss together in another, large bowl, beans, potatoes, scallions and celery root sticks; add about 3/4 of the dressing and stir to combine well, taste and adjust the seasoning; add some more dressing, if needed. Transfer to a serving dish, sprinkle with parsley and serve while is still warm or at room temperature.