Author Notes: Summertime means basil, market vegetables, and a whole lotta fresh flavor. —BubbleChild
Serves: about 4 dishes.
cup broccoli florets, plus 1/2 stem of broccoli, skin removed
tablespoon flax seed meal
teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Soak 1 tbs. flax seed meal with 2 tbs. water in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Cook broccoli in boiling water for about 4-5 minutes, or until a fork is easily inserted. Remove from heat, strain, and set aside.
- In medium saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Saute’ onion for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until edges have just started to brown. Remove from heat.
- In food processor, blend cooked broccoli, 1/2 tsp. minced garlic, flax seed goo, and cooked onions. When creamy texture forms, add fresh basil, salt, and pepper, and blend until as creamy as possible.
- Strain through a fine metal sieve for a creamy coulis, or simply use as-is for a more textured topping.