I have made this salad for many potlucks including a Christmas Eve gathering; it is my adaptation of one from Isa in San Francisco, published in Bon Appetit in 2004. I like to let the apple, fennel and cherries marinate in the vinaigrette before arranging over the greens.
- Serves 8
extra virgin olive oil
black pepper to taste
large (or most of a small head Green Leaf Lettuce
large (or one small) fennel bulb
apples, any eating variety
dried cherries, chopped
Vidalia or other sweet onion
- In a medium bowl whisk all vinaigrette ingredients.
- Slice fennel very thin, and cut apple into matchsticks and add to vinaigrette; add cherries also. This can sit for a half hour or so.
- Wash and spin (or blot) dry green leaf lettuce; tear into bite-size pieces. Wash and dry the arugula and tear (or trim) off stems. Arrange in a large salad bowl [or individual bowls if desired].
- Cut onion into thin slices and "sprinkle" over greens to de-chunk. If using clementines, peel and cut into halves (remove any seeds if you find any); arrange over onions.
- Use a slotted spoon to arrange apple mixture over the greens; whisk remaining liquid if it starts to separate. If salad is to be made ahead of time, store remaining liquid in a lidded container and shake well before pouring over greens.