Author Notes: This is an amazing (and gorgeous) beet salad, whose earthy flavor is highlighted by the acidity of the sherry vinegar. And we all know that beet+nut+cheese is a win-win situation.
The other good thing about these salads is they are good warmish, coldish, or at room temperature. So enjoy, whenever. Make it ahead. Go on a picnic. You get the idea. —martibk
large yellow beets
cups cooked brown rice
cup toasted pine nuts
ounces goat cheese, crumbled
cup extra virgin olive oil
tablespoons sherry vinegar
tablespoon shallot, diced
- Combine shallots and vinegar and set aside for about fifteen minutes.
- Boil beets in water until tender.
- Whisk olive oil, shallots and vinegar in small bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste, whisk until combined.
- Let beets cool a while in the cooking liquid. Slip off skins and chop into bite-size pieces.
- Toss with rice, nuts, cheese and dressing. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Savory Rice Dish