If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: What's not to love about rice stewed in coconut milk and tomato sauce. This is to Nigeria what Turkey is to the rest of the world (at Thanksgiving and Christmas)! Each family has their own version, and no celebration - wedding, babay naming, christmas...is complete without it! —Kitchen Butterfly
4 cups Basmati rice
2 cups stock (vegetable, chicken or meat) or water
6 medium-sized fresh Plum/ Roma tomatoes/ a 400g tin of tomatoes
3 medium-sized red onions (1 sliced thinly, 2 blended)
fresh red poblanos or bell peppers, deseeded
1 - 2 scotch bonnets (yellow is my favourite!), to taste
2 tablespoons of coconut/vegetable oil
2 tablespoons tomato puree
2 teaspoons (Carribean/ Jamaican style) curry powder
1 teaspoon dried thyme
one (400ml) tin coconut milk (or reconstituted coconut powder)
Salt, to taste
Optional - 1 - 2 stock cubes, mixed herbs, curry powder and dried thyme
- Soak rice in stock for a minimum of 20 minutes then par-cook in soaking stock for about 10 minutes on medium heat. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a blender, combine tomatoes, red poblano (or bell) peppers, chopped onions and chili pepper; blend till smooth, about a minute or two - you should have roughly 4 cups of blended mix.
- In a large pan, heat oil and add sliced onion - season with a pinch of salt; stir-fry for a minute or two then add the tomato puree, curry powder, dried thyme and bay leaf, then stir for another 2 minutes. Add the blended tomato mixture, stir and set on medium heat for 10-12 minutes so the mix cooks and the raw taste of the tomatoes is gone
- Add coconut milk - stir well, season to taste and add par-cooked rice. Stir again. But a lid on the pan and bring to the boil.
- When it comes up to the boil, add butter, stir again and turn down the heat – letting the rice steam for another 15-20 minutes, or till cooked (depending on how you like your rice). Season to taste. If rice is getting too dry, add some more stock or water by the half cup, stir gently and leave to cook.
- When it’s cooked, take off heat and remove the cover of the pot. Put a tea cloth over the top and leave till ready to serve.
- Variations: For kids - omit the chili and add 2 large carrots (peeled and roughly grated) and 1-2 cups of cooked (lean) minced meat in step 2
- Garnish with slices of green bell pepper and cilantro (coriander) leaves. Serve with fried plantain (dodo)
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Coconut
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegetarian Holiday Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Savory Rice Dish