Author Notes: The secret to this dish lies in the fresh summer vegetables. Frozen beans will not work here. For the breadcrumbs I usually use Raisin Rosemary Crisps (available at Trader Joe’s) and Lesley Stowe's Raincoast Crisps Rosemary Raisin Pecan Crackers (available on Amazon and fine food stores). —QueenSashy
pounds green string beans
pound red baby cipollini onions
pound yellow baby cipollini onions
ounces crumbled blue cheese
ounces raisin rosemary crackers (see Recipe Notes)
Extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper
- Cut the onions in half. (If using larger onions, cut into ¾-inch-thick slabs.)
- Break the crackers into pieces. Pulse in food processor about 10 times and then process until breadcrumbs are fine, about 25 seconds.
- In a frying pan heat three tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add the breadcrumbs. Stir frequently until toasted, for about 3 minutes.
- Light a grill or preheat a broiler. Drizzle the beans with olive oil and season with salt. Grill over moderately high heat, turning the beans from time to time, until crisp-tender and lightly charred, about 12 minutes. Season with ground pepper.
- Keep the grill on. Brush the onions with olive oil and season with salt. Grill over moderate heat, turning occasionally, until softened and browned, 10 minutes. Separate the onions into rings. Season with ground pepper.
- Place the beans onto individual plates. Top with the onion rings, then with blue cheese and finally with the breadcrumbs. Serve immediately.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Grilled Vegetable Dish