We've been enjoying the bounty of our CSA this summer, which often includes sungold cherry tomatoes. I slow roasted a big batch and wanted to incorporate them into a warm salad. Add in some bacon, some homemade croutons, and a mustard vinaigrette and viola! Dinner!
- Serves 2 or more
- For the salad
a good glug of olive oil
red pepper flakes
good bread for croutons
- For the dressing
white wine vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 250. Roast the tomatoes: place tomatoes on a cookie sheet and toss with olive oil, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Cook for 2-3 hours, depending on how soft you want them to be.
- Turn oven up to 400. Make croutons: cube bread and toss with olive oil, salt and pepper. Bake for 15-20 minutes, tossing half way through.
- While you cook the croutons, fry or bake the bacon. If baking, cook in 400 degree oven for 15-20 minutes. You can cook the bacon and croutons at the same time.
- For the dressing: mix together mustard, vinegar and salt and pepper. Slowly whisk in the olive oil. (The dressing comes from Dorrie Greenspan's Around My French Table).
- Chop up the bacon.
- Assemble the salad: toss the arugula, bacon, tomatoes, and croutons together with the vinaigrette and serve.