If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I created this dish one night when I needed to clean out the fridge and laziness kept me from going out to the store for more food. I love cooked lettuce because it has a great succulent texture. A little bit of protein rounds out this dish. This dish works with a sturdier lettuce like romaine or iceberg. The other types can be too fragile and wilt to almost nothing. You can substitute smoked tofu for the bacon. Use oil to stir-fry the lettuce if you do. —HalfPint
head of romaine or iceberg lettuce
ounces coarse chopped smoked bacon, or julienned smoked tofu
teaspoon mild vinegar, like rice, white wine, sherry etc
teaspoon chili bean sauce/paste (toban djan), optional
- Core and slice up lettuce 1-2". You don't want to really chop the lettuce up to small because it will soften and wilt down a bit. Set aside.
- Heat a skillet or wok on med-high heat. Add bacon and fry still fat renders and bacon is crispy. Skim off all but 1-2 tb of bacon fat. If using smoked tofu, add 1-2 tb oil to the hot pan, and add tofu, cooking for about 1 minute.
- Add lettuce and stir gently until the lettuce just wilts. Add vinegar, sugar and chili bean sauce, if using. Taste and add salt, more vinegar, or sugar, if needed.
- Transfer to a bowl or plate, and sprinkle with pepper. Serve immediately with hot cooked rice.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Lettuce