Author Notes: This is basically a cheese plate disguised as a salad. It combines nutty quinoa, juicy roasted grapes, caramelized onions, toasted almonds, and a delicious goat's milk Tomme cheese. To brighten it up a bit, I dressed it with a lemon and basil vinaigrette. I found the goat tomme at the union square farmers market and it's perfect for this. However, If you can't find goat Tomme, any semi soft goat's milk cheese will do, such as goat feta or goat cheddar. This salad makes a great lunch over a bed of baby spinach. —Cathy Likes Cheese
pound Red seedless grapes
cup Quinoa, rinsed
cup Fresh basil chiffonade
tablespoons Extra virgin olive oil
cup Slivered blanched almonds
Small onions or shallots, halved and sliced thinly
pound Goat Tomme cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit. Combine grapes and 1 tablespoon oil in a baking sheet and toss to combine. Roast in oven for 10-15 minutes.
- Combine quinoa with 2 cups water and bring to a boil. Turn down heat and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Heat a small skillet over medium heat. Add almonds and toast until nutty and fragrant. Set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil to skillet and return to medium heat. Add onions and sautée, stirring every 5 minutes, until lightly brown, about 20-30 minutes.
- Combine the juice of one lemon with basil, 1 tablespoon oil, and salt and pepper to taste. When quinoa is cooked, add almonds, grapes, onions, and vinaigrette and stir to combine. Set aside to cool.
- Cut cheese into 1/2 inch cubes. When salad has cooled, add cheese.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Grapes