Author Notes: This is my favourite rice... It comes from Turkey and is often used as stuffing, or served with turkey. It is cinamony and sweet because of the spices used. The rice goes very well with a Thanksgiving meal, this is why I'm going to bring it to my friends tomorrow... It has to be prepared a day before and can be eaten at room temperature, no need to heat it again! —Jace
cups Baldo Rice (or Arborio rice for risotto), washed
medium size onions, minced
medium size tomatoes, minced
teaspoons fresh mint, chopped
tablespoons pine nuts
teaspoons all spice
cup sunflower oil
- Heat the sunflower oil (high heat), add a pinch of salt and saute the onions until they become yellow
- In another small pan, saute the pin nuts in some oil until they become golden brown (be careful, they tend to burn very fast)
- Add the previously washed rice to the onions and stir for at least 8 min, until the rice becomes almost translucent
- Add the pine nuts, currants, all spice and sugar. Continue to stir.
- Add the tomatoes toward the bottom of the pan
- Cover the rice with boiling water, add a tablespoon of salt and taste the water. Adjust sugar and/or salt if necessary.
- Put the chopped mint and stir gently, then reduce the heat by half.
- Bring to a boil again, stir, and low the heat, add some more boiling water to cover the rice, then cover the pan and let the rice cook for 20 minutes (depends on the rice)
- Check from time to time, stir gently. When the rice is cooked remove from heat and wait until tomorrow...
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Savory Rice Dish