This recipe makes enough dough for a thick crust. It's not too sweet and is slightly short read-like. I wanted to use up some Trader Joe's almond meal and so I came up with this. I used a food processor but it could be done by hand. This was delicious with a pumpkin chiffon filling. —Sadassa_Ulna
- Makes single crust for 9" pie
Cold butter cut into slices
- Fill a cup with ice water.
- Put all ingredients except the last three into the bowl of a food processor. Pulse a few times until butter is reduced to pea-size chunks.
- Add 4 Tbsp. of the ice water and the vanilla. Pulse again to incorporate.
- Add almond meal and pulse to incorporate. Add more ice water until mixture forms a ball.
- Turn dough onto a sheet of wax paper or plastic wrap and form a flat disk. Wrap up and refrigerate for 1/2 hour minimum.
- For pre-baking this crust for unbaked fillings, pre-heat oven to 400 degress F., roll out dough and line a pie pan. Cut a circle of parchment to fit the inside diameter and place inside; pile on pie weights or use dry beans to prevent crust from puffing up. Bake 12 minutes, carefully remove weights and parchment and bake another 8-12 minutes. Place a ring of foil over the edges to prevent overbrowning.