If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe makes enough dough for a thick crust. It's not too sweet and is slightly short read-like. I wanted to use up some Trader Joe's almond meal and so I came up with this. I used a food processor but it could be done by hand. This was delicious with a pumpkin chiffon filling. —Sadassa_Ulna
Makes: single crust for 9" pie
cups AP flour
tablespoons White sugar
tablespoons Cold butter cut into slices
tablespoons Vegetable shortening
teaspoon Vanilla extract
tablespoons Ice water
cup Almond meal
- Fill a cup with ice water.
- Put all ingredients except the last three into the bowl of a food processor. Pulse a few times until butter is reduced to pea-size chunks.
- Add 4 Tbsp. of the ice water and the vanilla. Pulse again to incorporate.
- Add almond meal and pulse to incorporate. Add more ice water until mixture forms a ball.
- Turn dough onto a sheet of wax paper or plastic wrap and form a flat disk. Wrap up and refrigerate for 1/2 hour minimum.
- For pre-baking this crust for unbaked fillings, pre-heat oven to 400 degress F., roll out dough and line a pie pan. Cut a circle of parchment to fit the inside diameter and place inside; pile on pie weights or use dry beans to prevent crust from puffing up. Bake 12 minutes, carefully remove weights and parchment and bake another 8-12 minutes. Place a ring of foil over the edges to prevent overbrowning.