Author Notes: Growing up, I always made pumpkin pie the same way: with pumpkin pie mix, eggs, and cream. When I became vegan, I thought my pumpkin pie days were over, until I realized that cashews make a killer, creamy filling. This dairy and egg free pie, made with simple ingredients, proves that vegan baking can be easy and authentic. —Gena Hamshaw
- 1/2 recipe of Vegan pie crust (see link below)
- 2 1/2 cups pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mix)
- 1 cup cashews, soaked 3+ hours and drained of soaking water
- 3/4 cup demerara, brown, or cane sugar
- 2 tablespoons tapioca starch
- 2 tablespoons blackstrap molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon dried ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- pinches cloves
- Prepare one perfect vegan pie crust. You can find the recipe here: http://food52.com/recipes/19559_perfect_vegan_pie_crust.
- Roll the crust out to 1/4 inch thickness and line a greased and floured pie pan. Pinch edges decoratively.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Blend all pie filling ingredients in a food processor till super smooth. The mixture should be quite thick, but if it's too thick you can thin it with a tablespoon or two of water or non dairy milk. Spoon into the crust, smooth over, and bake until the edges of the crust are golden brown and the filling is dark (35 to 40 minutes). Let cool for a while before serving.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!