- Serves 10
Local seasonal food is always fresh and tastier. Its Fall right now, produce section looks colorful with different types of juicy squashes in all shapes, size and colors! A Halloween potluck with more than just Asians this time, made me think about something different, appealing and not too spicy. A request of tikka masala was already on the list, anything else.. how about sweet this time? how about something new and unique?!
With such an interesting ingredient, I wanted to try some Indian sweet with pumpkin. My initial thoughts of a pumpkin almond halwa moved towards a more wholesome Pumpkin Almond Peda with the addition of milk powder and condensed milk. I did try promoting my new sweet as we started our potluck by saying that it was made by me for the first time and that everyone should atleast give it a try, later I could not say it again as it was the first dessert tray to go empty. I still remember an American friend who picked one every time walked by my table saying that she picked one more.., she did one more and many more! I was really delighted to see her happy face picking the last one from the tray, a perfect appreciation for a delectable delight! :)
I shared the same delight with some of my little friends for Diwali who visited my home to check if they would pass the bill for this one. Guess what ..It was a sooper dooper hit!! What more can I expect than kids asking for more, and some wanted to carry home. Simply Sweet!! :) —yMarni
Desiccated coconut (Optional)
Pumpkin Seeds, toasted & roughly crushed(or whole)
- Mix 2 cups of the pumpkin puree and the remaining contents(Almond Flour, Milk powder, desiccated coconut, condensed milk, butter and sugar) in a microwave safe bowl except for cardamon and nutmeg.
- Stir the mixture after every 2 mins. The mixture will initially thin out as the sugar melts and then gradually thicken.
- Once the mixture thickens, add cardamon and a tad of nutmeg. Now you may want to keep stirring the misture every minute. Proceed until you see the mixture come together easily enough to roll as a ball.
- I used a mamoul mold given by a friend to get the shape and design as you see in the picture.
- If you do not have a mamoul mold, you may use any shaped silicon ice cube trays to present these pedas to your loved ones.
- Garnish with some roughly chopped or whole pumpkin seeds.