Author Notes: Just really, really tasty! A wonderful compliment to steak, cheese, creamed greens... —em-i-lis
Makes about 1/2 c
- 1/4 cup unfiltered apple juice
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon salted butter
- pinches kosher salt
- 1/3 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup cranberries
- 1/3 cup pomegranate arils
- 1/8 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- In a small skillet set over medium-high heat, stir together the apple juice, brown sugar and butter. When the sugar has dissolved and the butter has melted, add the onion and pinch of salt.
- Lower the heat to medium and cook until the onions start to soften and clarify. Add the cranberries and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the pomegranate arils and cook another couple minutes. Stir in the red wine vinegar, and when the skillet looks to be almost liquid-free, remove from heat and transfer the relish to a small bowl to cool. Enjoy or refrigerate for later use.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pomegranates