If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I think that crostini is the perfect food. It becomes the vehicle for whatever is resting in your refrigerator or pantry begging to be utilized. Summertime was perfect for Jenn Louis's recipe of Burrata With Roasted Nectarines and Pistachio Herb Oil (of which this is a picture). Winter brings additional challenges. Around the first of the year I purchased a half dozen Fuyu persimmons in Chinatown. Several were sacrificed to excellent rum punch and the remainder, with some leftover serrano ham, made this crostini topper that just feels like summer in the dead of winter. By the way, La Tourangelle Roasted Pistachio Oil (from Amazon) makes everything taste better. —Canned
Makes 12 crostini
- 12 slices of baguette, toasted or not....
- 2 1/2 Fuyu persimmons, 2 thinly sliced - 1/2 in chunks
- 6 slices of serrano ham, halved
- 1/2 cup Pistachio oil (or olive oil if pistachio is not available)
- 1/2 cup shelled pistachios, raw
- 1/4 cup fennel fronds, chopped
- 1/2 garlic clove
- 6 to 8 arugula leaves, torn in large pieces
- 6 basil leaves
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1/2 lemon (for spinkling crostini before serving)
- 2 scallions, white and green part thinly sliced
- 2 balls of fresh mozzarella soaked in very hot tap water for 15 minutes, changing water as necessary. If you have burrata, even better....
- Maldon salt, to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- In the bowl of a food processor or mini chopper, roughly chop pistachios. Add fennel frond, garlic, basil, lemon zest and scallions and pulse to mix. Put the chopped ingredients into a small container with a lid (a half pint mason jar works well).
- In the chopper, put persimmon chunks from 1/2 persimmon and puree. Add to the jar with chopped ingredients. Add pistachio oil, cover the container and shake it until thoroughly mixed.
- To assemble, place a piece of arugula on the toasted baguette. Place a slice of the mozzarella (or scoop of burrata) on top of the arugula. Place a half slice of serrano ham over the cheese. Top the ham with a thin slice of persimmon. Drizzle with dressing. Repeat until ingredients are done. Sprinkle with salt and drizzle with additional lemon juice, if desired.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Appetizer to Share with Friends
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Persimmons