If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This salad offers a healthy crunch with a sweet kick of ginger. You could substitute pear for the apple or toss in a handful of chopped arugula or fresh herbs. —Ann S
- 2 cups finely shredded purple cabbage
- 2 cups finely sliced kale (stems removed)
- 1 large sweet apple, cored and cut into thin strips
- 3 scallions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon (or to taste) minced, peeled ginger root
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons black mustard seeds
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons unsalted, shelled sunflower (or pumpkin) seeds
- Place cabbage, kale, apples and scallions in a large bowl. Toss with ginger root, oil, vinegar, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Place seeds and nuts into a small dry skillet over medium heat. Toast until nuts begin to brown and mustard seeds begin to pop. Be careful to shake pan frequently to prevent burning. Cool slightly, then add to salad and mix well.