Tea with bread and jam just got interesting. I've made this with different types of tea. —Kitchen Butterfly
- Prep time 5 minutes
- Cook time 1 hour 15 minutes
- Makes over 1/2 a cup
500ml whole milk
2 vanilla pods, split and seeds scraped out
4 Thai teabags or 2 heaped tablespoons Thai tea mix
In This Recipe
- In a heavy sided, deep pot (I used a 'small' one - about 15cm deep and 15 cm wide) - combine the milk, sugar and split vanilla pod. Bring to the boil, add the four tea bags and turn down to simmer, on low heat.
- Simmer and stir using a wooden spoon, making sure the spoon scrapes the bottom of the pan to move bits and prevent it from burning. Stir every 10 minutes. Sometimes it will foam and froth, skim - stir it in and continue
- After 45 minutes, when the mixture has taken on some colour colour and the flavour of tea shines through, strain, remove and discard the tea bags/ tea leaves. The mixture would have reduced in volume to about a quarter.
- Return to the pot , on simmer and keep stirring till you get a loose honey consistency. It will thicken to a paste, like Nutella or peanut butter once it cools down.
- Store in clean, sterilized jars and allow to cool. Once cool, refrigerate and allow the jam 'rest' - 2-3 days before eating. If it is too stiff when you're ready to devour it, warm it gently on the stove top, or in the microwave..