If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A hot breakfast is one of life's luxuries, but rarely do we take the time on a busy morning to make anything that requires heat. This porridge is the perfect answer, because all it requires is that you turn to oven on to a low temperature, stir a few things in a casserole dish, and go to bed. You wake up to a delicious fragrant breakfast that will have you smiling all day. What's not to love? And even better - if you have a pile of overnight guests to feed for breakfast and you don't feel like cooking - you won't have to. Double the recipe, shove it in the oven the night before and it will be ready to go when you all wake up. —EatSimplyEatWell
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 quart milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, optional
- 2 cups mixed frozen berries
- Heat the oven to 180°F
- Pour all the ingredients except the berries into a 2-quart oven-proof dish and give it a stir. Place the dish in the oven and close the door.
- Pour the frozen berries into a wide shallow dish, place them in the fridge to thaw overnight, and go to bed. Sleep well!
- In the morning, remove the barley porridge from the oven and turn the oven off. Serve the porridge with the now-thawed berries and a steaming cup of coffee or tea. Happy Days!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cheap Feast