If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Chicken Cassoulet is the perfect, healthy meal during the winter. It is the ultimate one pot casserole; elegant yet causal, my kind of entertaining,(and doesn’t cassoulet sound so much more elegant than casserole???) love my version of cassoulet using chicken, bacon, turkey sausage, tomatoes, cannellinni beans, wine, garlic, onions, kale, and fresh oregano. —Donna Sawyer Celebrating Life & Food
- 4 strips of bacon cut in 2 inch pieces
- 8 Chicken Thighs
- 4 Turkey Sausages (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup wine
- 1 large can of whole tomatoes or 4 fresh tomatoes diced
- 2 cans of cannellini beans
- 1 chicken bouillon
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh thyme or 1 T. dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano or 1 T dried oregano
- 1 bunch kale, large chopped
- In a large dutch oven or skillet over medium-high heat, cook bacon for 5 minutes, until brown. Transfer them to a plate with a paper towel under the bacon to absorb the grease.
- Add the chicken thigh pieces to the bacon fat and brown them over medium-high heat about 4 minutes on each side to brown. Transfer chicken to a bowl.
- Brown the sausage in the same pan then transfer into bowl with chicken.
- Add the onions to the pan and saute for 10 minutes until they turn translucent and light golden brown.
- Add the garlic and saute for an additional minute
- Add wine and reduce by 50%
- Add tomatoes, beef bouillon, and beans
- Add protein back in to the pan accept for the bacon. Cover and bake for 2 hours in a 350 degree oven.
- Place chopped kale in bowls and dish cassoulet on top of kale
- Top with crunchy bacon and serve with crusty bread.