Author Notes: This is a healthy version of corn fritters adapted from ricotta pancake recipes. The recipe can be adapted for intolerances, made sweet or savoury.
Serve these pancakes with a tomato relish or avocado. —i.m.
Makes: 20 medium size pancakes
cups ricotta. This can be replaced with cottage cheese, yoghurt or silken tofu
cup buckwheat flour
ear of corn
teaspoon cumin, ground
- Firstly, cook the corn, either cook in simmering water, or char on the barbeque. Set aside to cool. Cut the corn off the cob.
- In a large sized bowl, gently mix the ricotta the egg yolks. Stir in the flour and cumin and then add the milk. Mix till well combined.
- Add corn to egg yolk mix.
- In a clean bowl, beat the egg whites with the salt to soft peaks. Gently fold into the egg yolk mixture.
- This recipe works best when the mixture is rested in the refrigerator for at least an hour or overnight. The mixture will thicken.
- Heat a nonstick frypan over medium heat. Add a tbs of olive oil. Add a large spoonful of mixture to pan, cook gently on either side till lightly brown.