Author Notes: I was looking for a quick, filling and healthy mid-week supper when I suddenly had the idea of using the cooking technique for a traditional risotto but applying it to chickpeas and this is how this chickpea fennel 'risotto' was born. The result was aboslutely fantastic - an incredibly flavourful soup that was easy enough to prepare on a weeknight and the recipe of which I have already shared with the rest of my family. —Sophia R
Serves: 2 as a starter or 1 as a small main
ounces chickpeas, cooked (or drained contents of 1 can of chickpeas)
medium-sized fennel bulb, thinly sliced
small onion, thinly sliced
clove of garlic
glass dry white wine
liters vegetable stock
bunch parsley, chopped
ounces parmesan cheese, grated (you could use other hard cheese, like pecorino, as well)
tablespoons olive oil (plus extra for garnish)
- Start by frying the sliced fennel, onion, garlic and fennel seeds in the olive oil on medium heat until the fennel and onion are translucent. Be careful not to brown the onion and the garlic as they will taste bitter otherwise. Add the chickpeas.
- While the fennel, onion, garlic and fennel seeds are cooking, gently heat up the vegetable stock and keep it on a low flame.
- Pour the white wine over the fennel, onion, garlic, fennel seeds and chickpeas and stir until the wine has evaporated.
- Add the vegetable stock one ladle at a time, waiting for the stock to be almost fully absorbed before adding the next ladle, stirring continuously between each addition.
- Once the chickpeas are soft and have started breaking down (ca. 15-20 minutes), the 'risotto' is ready. Add enough stock so that the chickpeas are barely covered. (Note, you may not need the full 0.75l of stock).
- Remove the garlic clove. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Distribute the 'risotto' between two deep plates, garnish with the chopped parsley, a drizzle of olive oil and grated parmesan cheese.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Chickpeas
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fennel