Author Notes: I used spicy Italian sausage because that is what I had on hand, but I imagine chorizo would work just as well. —Chef Linda
red skin potatoes (medium)
fennel bulb, reserve fronds
spicy italian sausages
teaspoon ground pepper
In This Recipe
- Cook potatoes in boiling water or microwave. Roughly smash with a fork potato into large bite sized pieces. Stir in 1 tbsp oil and thyme. Set aside
- Thinly slice onion and fennel bulb. Crush garlic.
- In oven proof skillet on medium heat, add 1 tbsp oil and 1 tbsp butter. Add onions and 1/2 tsp salt. Cook until onions are caramelized being sure to stir often so that the onions do not burn. Stir in ground pepper and add to the potatoes.
- In same skillet, heat remaining 1 tbsp oil and add fennel, garlic, and 1/2 tsp salt. Cook until brown. Set aside with the potato and onion mixture.
- Again in the same skillet, cook sausages over medium heat. Halfway through cooking, remove sausages and slice into 1/2 cm medallions. Return to skillet and pan fry until slices are brown and slightly crispy on the edges.
- Add potato, onion, fennel mixture to the skillet with the sausages. Lightly stir being careful not to break down the potatoes too much and put into preheated oven.
- Gently stir mixture every 15 minutes, until potatoes are nicely browned. Approximately 50-55 minutes depending on the size of your pan.
- Stir in fennel fronds. Serve with sour cream or ketchup.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fennel