If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Experimenting with polenta, I'm getting very strong in the arms.. —Janneke Verheij
- 600 milliliters vegetable stock
- 200 milliliters whole milk
- 200 gram fine polenta (I used bramata oro)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed coriander seeds
- 1 small chili pepper
- pepper and salt
- Polenta: Bring the stock with the milk to a boil with the bay leaf, crushed coriander seeds and the whole chili pepper. Poor in the polenta and stir. You have to keep stirring regularly because otherwise it will stick to the bottom of your pan. In the beginning the polenta is just laying on the bottom but you will see that it will become one mass eventually. Keep boiling on a low fire and stir until you can leave your wooden spoon in it straight up. This will take at least 20-30 minutes I’m afraid, but you will get as strong as an Italian mama.
- When the polenta is done, you can add some butter or cream to make it more creamy and season well with pepper and salt. Pour the mixture in a shallow dish and put it in the fridge for at least an hour. The polenta will have to get entirely set.
Sauce and Salmon
- 1 can tomatoes
- 1 red onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 capsicum
- smoked salmon
- cheese (I used Parmesan)
- chopped parsley
- pepper and salt
- To start with the capsicum, just open your gas fire small and put i he capsicum on top. Keep turning until the skin is black at all sides. Let it cool down and peel, take the seeds out and slice them in stripes. Don’t wash them!!! You will wash away so much of the flavor. You can start this process when you are making the polenta.
- Cut the onions in half rings and the garlic small. Bake the onion in some olive oil, add the garlic when the onion is soft and bake another minute or two. Add the capsicum and season with pepper and salt. Add the salmon only at the end.
- When the polenta is set; cut it into pieces and bake them in a pan a little brown at all sides. This is to improve the texture; otherwise it will get like pudding in your mouth. Put the baked polenta in a oven proof bowl and add the sauce with the salmon. Garnish with cheese and if you like the cheese melted, put it under the grill for a couple of minutes. Otherwise, garnish with some chopped parsley and enjoy.