There I sat, staring at a pack of chicken. I roll my eyes, sigh, then run every one of my chicken "go-to's" through my head. By the time I run through them, I almost don't care anymore. Maybe I'll just slap these babies on the grill and pop open a bottle of BBQ sauce. Oh, come on! Snap out of it! I'm better than this! I can do this! (And quite frankly, since I've started blogging…my family's expectations are a bit…astronomical).
I rummage like a thief through the pantry, the fridge. Pulling things out of drawers and shelves. And this…is the result! I've got a simple recipe that looks like you fussed, but…you didn’t. Your family will be so impressed! You probably already have a lot of these things in your cabinets and fridge too. There are a lot of flavors in this dish, but they all compliment each other. I love the bits of sweetness from the currants and the sun dried tomatoes with the deep, tart flavor from the balsamic vinegar. I serve this with simple boiled baby potatoes that have been sautéed with arugula in a bit of olive oil. It doesn’t need anything more than that. So, don't let that boring package of chicken breasts intimidate you…because now, you've got big plans for those guys! —Caroline Hurley | Taste Love + Nourish
- Serves 8
boneless, skinless chicken breasts
wholegrain mustard (Dijon is fine too)
large shallot, finely chopped
freshly ground black pepper
dried oregano, rubbed between your fingers
extra virgin olive oil
sun dried tomatoes, finely sliced
can quartered artichoke hearts, drained and rinsed
fresh basil leaves, torn
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Rinse the chicken breasts and dry them well. Place them in a large baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining ingredients up to the currants. Pour over the chicken pieces. Using tongs, flip each piece over a few times to make sure they are coated well. Place in the oven and roast for 15 minutes.
- Scatter the artichokes over the top of the chicken. Continue to roast for 15 to 20 minutes, until the internal temperature reaches about 160 degrees.
- Remove from the oven and garnish with fresh basil before serving.