If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Fresh spring salad with crispy carmelized beets and a smooth beet vinaigrette. —Laurie
Spring Salad with Smashed Beets
- 3 golden or red beets, scrubbed, tough ends and whiskers trimmed
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 4 cups spring greens (pea shoots, green choi)
- 1 egg, hard-boiled
- 1/4 cup reduced beet cooking liquid
- 1 garlic clove (from beets)
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- Pinch black pepper
- Put beets, vinegar, 2 tablespoons olive oil, and garlic into a saucepan. Add water just to cover. Bring to a boil, then reduce to medium and cook uncovered until fork tender, turning as liquid reduces (30-40 minutes). Remove beets and set aside. Remove and reserve garlic clove. Boil remaining cooking liquid until reduced to a 1/4 cup (about 8 minutes). Cool slightly. Cut beets into 1/2 inch slices (no need to peel - the skin gets pleasantly crispy). Put between two sheets of wax paper and thump with something heavy (a can or rolling pin) to flatten slightly. Lightly salt both sides. Heat remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large fry pan over medium heat until shimmering. Add beets, making sure you have room to flip them. Cook until you have a brown crust (approx. 5 minutes), then flip and cook for another 3 minutes or so. Remove to a plate. Grate hard boiled egg on largest holes of grater and set aside.
- Mash garlic clove and add to reduced cooking liquid then whisk in dijon mustard, lemon juice, salt and pepper, Put lettuces on a platter and top with beets and egg. Drizzle dressing over and serve.