Author Notes: This was a recipe I made up the other day using ingredients I had in the house —Dave MP
teaspoon white peppercorns
teaspoon Sichuan peppercorns
pieces star anise
cloves of garlic, smashed and roughly chopped
stalks of celery, chopped in bite-size pieces
package of firm tofu
teaspoons soy sauce
1/2 - 3/4
cups broth (vegetable or beef)
- In a mortar and pestle, crush the peppercorns and the star anise until fine.
- Heat a wok until it's smoking, then add about 1 T of vegetable or peanut oil. Throw in the garlic and cook for about 20 seconds, then add celery.
- Cook celery for about 2 minutes.
- Add broth and let simmer until tofu is completely heated.
- Turn down heat, then add oyster sauce. Stir until oyster sauce is completely incorporated.
- Serve with white rice.