- Serves six 8 oz. portions
There's something wonderful about working the art of Cuisine. Like a painter with his/her palate of basic oils or acrylics, blending primary colors to create entire new ones only limited by an imagination, so too is the Chef and his/her vast array of fresh ingredients, spices, and herbs in creating new recipes from the old classics. This idea did not go unnoticed in this latest creation, Turmeric Leek and Potato Soup.
Providing Indian ingredients to this classic soup opens a whole new window to what you can do with potatoes and leeks and introduces new flavors that you might not have thought about blending. The coconut cream enhances the smooth and silky texture that you will notice from the very first spoonful, while the turmeric adds the accent of an ever so gentle curry undertone that will leave you wondering why you haven't thought of this before. —Dominique Roche
Medium Russet Potatoes
Cloves of garlic
Black ground pepper
Low fat plain Greek yogurt
Fresh chopped parsley
- Prepare ingredients and gather cooking pots and utensils. Peel and cut the potatoes into 1 inch squares, slice the leeks into 1/4 to 1/2 inch slices and soak in cold water for 10 minutes, then remove into a dry bowl with your hands, chop shallots, crush garlic with a knife and then chop finely.
- In a 8 to 10 inch diameter pot, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. When oil is hot, saute the shallots until translucent, then add the garlic. Continue to saute for another minute.
- Begin to add the leeks a handful at a time, saute for about a minute between handfuls. Once all leeks are cooking, stir and continue to saute for another few minutes reducing heat to medium.
- Next, add the 4 cups of water and bring to a boil. Once water is boiling, add the potatoes, salt, and pepper and lower heat to low, cover, and continue to cook for about 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, using a fork, check to make sure the potatoes are tender and cooked. Using a ladle, transfer approximately 4 scoops into a prepared food processor.
- To the food processor, now add the coconut cream, butter, and Turmeric powder. Process until everything is well blended and the mixture is silky smooth. Once accomplished, return the mixture to the pot with the remainder of the soup, stir until well blended.
- Lower heat to simmer and allow to finish on simmer for another 5 minutes. Serve hot, with a sprinkle of chopped fresh parsley or cilantro. Perform a final taste to adjust your salt and pepper to your desired level. Enjoy.
- This preparation should serve 8 ounce portions for a party of six. Tips When preparing the leeks, cut the top 2 inches of the stalks and discard; however, please use the rest of the green as well as the white parts. The green part is where most of the nutrients are and it enhances the flavor of your soup.