If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This was an invention of necessity - my kitchen had no ice cream maker. It was really hot, and I was really hungry. The base recipe is simple so you can swirl in chocolate chunks, fresh fruit, or my favorite - homemade strawberry jam. It's not molded like a typical semifreddo, because I like to be able to scoop it like ice cream. —Erin McDowell
- 3 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 vanilla bean, halved and scraped
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream, whipped to medium peaks
- strawberry or other jam, to taste
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, whisk the eggs, yolks, vanilla, and sugar to combine. Place over a double boiler and heat until the sugar dissolves and the mixture reads 160 degrees on a thermometer.
- Transfer to the mixer and whip on medium high speed until pale and very thick, 4-5 minutes.
- Pour the mixture into a 13x9 casserole dish. Transfer to the freezer. It will take 2-4 hours for it to set completely. Fold gently 2-3 times while it is freezing. When it is almost frozen, generously dollop jam around the semifreddo. Use the blade of a butter knife to swirl it in. Freeze until ready to serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Frozen Dessert