If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Recipe courtesy of Chef Ivan Pahk of Sansei Seafood Restaurant & Sushi Bar in Kapalua and K?hei, Maui. —Family Meal
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 white onion, medium dice
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 cups shoyu (or regular or low sodium soy sauce)
- 8 cups water
- 2 cans Coral tuna in oil (any brand will do)
- 1 medium sized daikon radish, cubed
- 8 fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup green onions (both green and white parts)
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 packages somen noodles
- Cook the somen according to package directions. Shock the noodles in ice water and set aside.
- In an eight quart soup pot (or any stock pot) over medium heat, caramelize the onion and garlic in the oil until very light brown, about two minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, except the green onion and cilantro. Turn the heat down to low and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Put a portion of noodles into individual soup bowls. Ladle the soup over the noodles and garnish with the green onion and cilantro. I add a little sambal 'cause I like it spicy.